Monday, December 31, 2012

Friendship isn't always sugar, spice, and everything nice



I've learned a lot of lessons recently regarding friendship. This blog post is pretty much straight out of my journal. And though I'm obviously keeping some details to myself, I want to be sharing with you guys as I learn, even if it hurt getting there.
First off, no matter how good of a friend you think you have, the fact of the matter is we are all human, sinners that will fail, but God will never fail us.
I've realized I've been caught up and blindsided trying to invest myself in friendships. I've always craved for those special companions you can call sisters and brothers you're that close. That by itself is a good thing, but I've realized that over the past eight years now I've been so concerned with wanting to be "connected" so badly that I lost sight of being connected with my Heavenly Father. I was investing too much into my friendships with people, and not enough investment into my relationship with my Creator and Savior. Big no-no. Thus I have experienced feeling very alone at times, despite knowing that that is not true.
I've been wronged by people, but it took being hurt to see how I hurt my loving and faithful Father in Heaven. What people have done to me is nothing compared to how we as His children break His heart. From Peter denying He knew Jesus to me denying the time I know I should be spending with Him in His presence. Yet He loves us like no other. Despite our failures God is the one true friend who will NEVER forsake us, give up on us, or fail us in any way, and He sticks closer than a brother! God allowed me to lose a friendship in order to realize all along I had been looking to fill that desire for friendship in the wrong place. I was seeking people rather than seeking God FIRST. We need to remember to make God number one. He is the ONLY one who will never let us down. He may allow things to take place that hurt and confuse us, but they are for our good and His glory no matter how hard it seems in the moment. He tests those He loves! Remember to love like Christ loves us. Remember to thank God for loving us first, allowing love into our hearts for Him!
This past summer I learned that growing as a Christian is growing more aware of our failures and daily need for a Savior and His mercy. As bad as things can hurt, all the pain and tears are worth it! I know you may not believe me, but all this is His loving hand shaping and molding us into who we are as children of God. Think of it as growing pains :)
Friendship is a gift from God, but never lose sight of our Lord, who is a friend for eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment