Monday, December 31, 2012

Canon: Christian Rapper - Review & Interview!



Review
This week I got to ask Canon, Christian rapper, a few questions and review his EP "Loose Canon" which releases this Tuesday, October 16th!
I'm giving this EP 4 out of 5 stars. The only negative things I have to say is Canon could totally kill a ballad. . . . Other than that, this EP is one to buy! I really enjoyed listening to the fresh, hiphop filled tracks. Great vocals, great lyrics, great tunes. Thumbs up for this one!



Interview

Tori) Where does your stage name "Canon" come from?

Canon) 2008, Sitting at an ihop after the Red revolution concert held  in Memphis Tennessee, me along with Lecrae and the rest of the reach records family were dining and waiting for our meals. The conversation of a new rap name came to the table by others that were also present that evening. The suggestion of the name canon returned from an earlier conversation Lecrae, Bj thompson and I were having. By the end of the night we all agreed to change the name to canon. Canon being another term for the rule and standard of the scriptures. Am I the rule and standard of all scripture? Of course not, however the scriptures would be the only source I place my theological and philosophical foundations upon. Therefore, you will gain them in my music.

Tori) Describe yourself, as an artists AND as a person in general, in four
words:

Canon: Free spirited, musically creative, authentically Christian, Youthfully yet intelligent Leader.

Tori) What has been the main inspiration behind these new songs coming soon?

Canon) To create a culture of urban music that may not only introduce a loose perspective of who canon is as an artist but to also communicate with simple yet potent messages, various points of Gospel that may be easily received by both Christian and  non Christians, having an appreciation for HipHop.

Tori) If your listeners take away one thing from this new project, what do
you want that to be?

Canon) I would love for people to gain that real life happens with real people outside of Christianity and that there are people who haven't been reached outside our Christian circles. Also that there are issues we as a body of believers still haven't dealt with. We as believers still have real sin and real issues that we must address. But life isn't all about problems, we can have fun as well. So it's ok to be free and have fun. To get loud and wild amongst our friends and family. God called us to be upright, not uptight.

Tori) What was it like attending church with Lacrae?

Canon) Lecrae is no one special. He's a regular man, Shepherding a great family who seeks to gain encouragement from the scriptures while in church. The best services are when he can be normal and enjoy service. He didn't come to perform nor to sign autographs. He's a regular guy just like anyone else.

Tori) When you look back on your life and see how God's hand has clearly been involved, whats the first thought that enters your mind?

Canon) Looking at Gods involvement in my life I can do nothing but become thankful. I have so many underserved opportunities. The grace of God is unimaginable. Knowing that I could never repay him, I acknowledge that I owe him my entire life and to live out such with gratitude.

Tori) Do you have anything specific you'd like to say and/or advice you want
to give to our female readers?

Canon) Women often times are always searching for leadership. We were a all created to follow but sometimes we don't know who or what to follow. We lack defined leaders amongst our circles. my hope is that they gain a clear picture of leaders. A leader is chosen and called by God himself.
God gives him his agenda.
His main obligation is to shepherd Gods people. A leader realizes he's weak  Therefore the leader is lead by the spirit. He knows he's  insecure.
He also knows his insecurities will affect others by becoming selfish, manipulative and needy. He fights through his insecurities because he knows he has them and knows he will function unGodly without him fighting against them.  He serves and protects Gods people. A leader brings peace and fights through confrontation diligently. Gods people will fall into sin without a leader. My hope is that all women have great leadership. I pray that even my music may lead them into a life of Godliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment