Saturday, February 23, 2013

Jason Lovins Interview: using his voice for the One who made sure he had one


"It sounds so cliche, but I'm so thankful for life"

Jason Lovins, founder and lead singer for the Jason Lovins Band
Jason recently went national about how his life almost didn't begin, and the brave stand his family took for life.
His mother being raped at 15, listened to the wise counsel of her mother and carried Jason full term. Here he is today alive and well, sharing his story and sharing Christ's love through music.  


 Favorite memory...
Favorite memory? wow. ummm...I would say it would have to do with my grandma and grandpa. I was just madly in love with them and we had this amazing relationship. Today was actually my grandpa's birthday, he passed away a few years ago. One of my favorites I guess would be when we went on vacation and we had a camper. We got snowed in, so my grandma, grandpa, and I were stuck in this trailer for like 5 days. My grandma was so mad at him for not getting us out of there before the snowstorm, but I just remember loving being with them. 

Favorite restaurant...
Right now, I love Carrabbas.

Favorite movie...
Big Trouble in Little China

Favorite free time activity...
Golf.

What instrument represents your personality the best?...
I don't know...that's tough!...what do people say to this? I do play the guitar, but I'm not even that good at that! I don't know, that's tough :)

Was music something you wanted to be your career when you started playing music with friends in college?...
Yes, absolutely. Music has always been what I've dreamed of doing. When I was a kid, I would have told you I was going to be the next Garth Brooks. In college, the focus really turned to making music about Jesus. So that was what we set out to do. 

What genre would you classify the Jason Lovins Band under?...
We do so many different styles. It's really hard to put a pin on a genre.

Do you have a favorite song on the new album?...
"The Grass is Greener" It's a beautiful picture of heaven. It's so beautiful. 

"Promises" is your fourth album, how does it compare to your others?...
It's our best by far. We really set out to put together a group of songs that would really minister to the church. We didn't even write all the songs. We reached out to friends and people we knew that were songwriters. They all kind of came from different places at different times, and it was neat how it all came together. It was a really neat body of work we didn't even have everything to do with. The Lord put it together. People say this all the time, but I really am more excited about this album more than I've ever been. 

Any funny memories from this recording process?...
I love watching Jose our base player. He's from Venezuela, so he's got that latino vibe. Watching him in the studio dancing around as he's playing and getting into it is probably one of my favorite things from this recording process. To watch these guys make this music is beautiful process.

You recently went national with your birth story, how has peoples response affected you?
It's been humbling for sure, and a bit overwhelming. I've been sharing this for several years now, but how it impacts people is crazy! It reminds me that I'm just so small in this equation. Because you know I didn't have anything to do with this, I'm just a product of it, so it's easy for me to talk about, but I never realized it would have such impact. I always knew I was different, I was always told I was special. But as I got older I realized I needed to share that and the beauty of it was I had nothing to do with it. More so than anything Im so humbled to be apart of something that's so much bigger than I am. 

Would you or your mom ever think about writing a book about everything?
Actually, our band pastor has somewhat of a similar story, he should have been aborted and wasn't, and it's different from mine, but he actually just sent me a text a couple days ago that said "we have to write a book". So yes, it's something we would definitely consider and it may happen sooner than later. 

Has knowing and sharing about how your life almost didn't begin, influence your views on abortion?
Ya, somebody even asked me the other day, "So, you're prolife?" and I'm like "well, I wouldn't be here" So you know, to be perfectly honest and vulnerable here, as a kid when I started learning about abortion and all these different things, it kind of clicked that that could of been me. I just hated that something so bad like that happened to my mom. And you just hate the circumstances. In the case of rape you always question yourself, well would abortion be okay in those situations. And I'm thankful that my family set the example for me that no, it wasn't okay for us. For my grandma and her 15 year old daughter, abortion was not an option, and I'm so thankful for that, cause I wouldn't be here. We try to share that in love and let people know God loves you and He wants nothing more than to show His glory through a terrible situation. When you allow Him to work like that, beautiful things can happen. It sounds so cliche, but I'm so thankful for life. My grandma had a lot of people, a lot of Christian people, telling her how in the case of rape, nobody would be upset with you if you allowed your 15 year old daughter to have an abortion. And that just wasn't going to happen.




WOULD YOU LIKE A COPY OF THE JASON LOVINS BAND LATEST CD "PROMISES"?! 

All you have to do is send an email to torigracelife@gmail.com 
and share how this interview has impacted you. 
Include your address, and we'll send Jason's CD your way! Only four copies available, so email today! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment