Sunday, September 15, 2013

Sunday Reflections on Friday Lessons...

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me"

The past month I've been commuting to my classes five days a week. Driving 40 minutes to and from campus doesn't sound too fun at first, but I've quickly discovered the blessing in it. My 40 minute drive through pretty back roads is now a time of prayer and worship that I look forward to each day. Last Friday I had my radio on and the DJ started talking about some research being done. People wanted to know why an elderly man or woman who had lost most of their hearing could still hear their spouses voice (no matter how quiet) clear as day, but still have trouble hearing anyone else. A lady called the station and continued to say how her great aunt and uncle were 91 years old and had been married for 70 years. She said that when she visits she has to yell for her uncle to hear anything she says, however if his wife, her aunt, says anything to him he will immediately understand every word she says despite her soft tone.


If marriage is meant to mirror the love Christ has for the Church, this makes perfect sense. He is our shepherd and we are His sheep. In John 10:27 He says, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me". When we draw near to God we are more aware of His voice in our lives. The amazing depth of love that the old uncle had for his wife doesn't even compare to the depth of love Christ has for the Church. Draw near and know His voice. Spend time in His Word. Know the love He has for you. That same thrill you might have experienced when your earthly daddy came home and you just wanted to be in the same room and chat away about your "hard" day as a child, you should experience that on such a higher level for your Heavenly Father. Be intentional about making time to be in His Word and lay your burdens at His feet. Draw near and know your Shepherd's voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment